Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Round Cheese Bread and the oven that won't light up!

Hello everyone!

I did it! It was a bit challenging since my kitchen is not equipped for baking, but I made a Round Cheese Bread with mozzarella, parmesan and a hint of oregano.

I got home around 8pm and I was supper excited to bake. See I want to open a Cafe in the Dominican Republic and it almost felt impossible until I got this idea to put it in motion. I started talking to some family members about this idea of mine, and now my aunt and sister are really enrolled and want to take part in it.
So with them on my side I went down to Barnes and Nobles and picked out a baking book and decided to teach myself how to bake! Now, I've baked a simple cake from a box before, but I can't say it has always been successful.

The kitchen! It took five of us to get the oven running. Five! My father, my cousin, my mother, my sister and me. Five people. We took it apart. We burned like 3 paper kitchen towels trying to light it up, and when that wasn't successful, we decided to plug it in. The catch see is that we unplugged it once before because for some reason it has this annoying tick while it's plugged in, and the cherry on top, an overwhelming stench of burning rubber from the lack of use.
But once the oven blew the biggest flames I've ever seen, my fear moved from, OMG let me not burn this apartment down, to OMG I have to actually bake now.
But all the worries for nothing. The bread went in, and it did its magic. We let it cool, took a quick pic, and I started to serve it.

I was elated to hear that my family liked it so much. One by one they started saying how balanced it was in flavor, how soft and moist inside it was, yet crunchy outside.
Just so everyone knows, my family isn't the easiest crowd to please. Even though they were helping me light up the oven, they were so annoyed by me and skeptical that I could even do this, that I think it really surprised them and they were genuinely honest.

So to hear them say it was good. No,great! It makes me supper happy. When I asked my grandma what she thought? she said, "I am so satisfied and pleased, I loved it!"
See to me, that right there, is the compliment of champions!

It has been a while since I've felt challenged and excited by something. Let's see what adventures the oven bakes tomorrow.

Good night!
-J

3 comments:

  1. Well last night I had the pleasure of having Jay's homemade cheese bread. As she was heating it up on the oven my emotions were just all over the place from a long tiring day. Once I took a bite of that cheese bread I no longer had a long day. I was amazed how the bread was refrigerated over night and when she heated up the inside was so moist and yet the outside layer remained crunchy. Besides wanting more Cheese bread my next thought was where's the wine....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Jay!! Very proud of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanx! It was my first. :)

    ReplyDelete